Friday, March 23, 2012

March 21, 2012 Presentation to South Carolina Association of Convenience Stores

This past Wednesday I had the opportunity to speak to the South Carolina Association of Convenience Stores about South Carolina products liability law.  There were about 30 to 40 attendees, and I appreciated their attention and interest in my presentation.  I was accompanied by Charles Appleby, one of my colleagues at Collins & Lacy, P.C., who also spoke to the group on the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Generally, I provided the group with an overview of South Carolina products liability law.  Because of the nature of their business, I explained the concept of strict liability and how a retailer can face liability even if it did not have a role in the design or manufacture of a product.  I also surveyed some of the food and beverage law from my recent holiday series (e.g., the exploding bottle cases, insect/animal in food cases) and explained the concept of a manufacturing defect.  Finally, we wrapped it up with some discussion of what to expect if a products liability claim is brought against a retailer and best practices for preventing them and dealing with them.  The audience had some great questions at the end of the presentation.

I appreciated the opportunity to speak to this group and hope to again in the future!

This post is subject to the DISCLAIMER AND TERMS OF USE of this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment