Monday, August 1, 2011

Passing of the Honorable Matthew J. Perry, Jr.

I was saddened to learn of the passing of U.S. District Judge Matthew J. Perry, Jr. over the weekend.  Approximately one year ago to the day, I tried a products liability case before Judge Perry that lasted a couple of weeks.  During that time, I had the opportunity to get to know Judge Perry, see him interact with the attorneys and the jury, and generally watch him run his courtroom.  He was a true gentleman and an icon in South Carolina's history.  I saw him again a few months ago while shopping for groceries and had the opportunity to reminisce with him about our case and how he was doing. 

Judge Perry had an almost "regal" air about him.  He was a delight to be around, but also had the ability to strike fear in even the most seasoned lawyer with his booming voice and his ability to get his point across in as few words as possible.  I cannot say that I knew him "well," but I feel lucky to have had a chance to try a case before him toward the end of his storied career.  He will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. I am very saddened by the death of Hon. Matthew J. Perry Jr. He was the keynote speaker for Civil Rights Remembrance Day in Orangeburg, South Carolina on May of 1997,at Trinity United Methodist Church. He will be deeply missed. I am in the process of having this work published. His legacy will live on.I am a native of Orangeburg,and the visionary of Civil Rights Remembrance Day. Rosa Mavins Bogar

    ReplyDelete